The video was created by the manufacturer, Spatz FGIA Inc., an established US-based medical device company focused on the treatment of obesity.
We invite you to meet our highly trained weight loss surgeons because we believe the best results are achieved through thorough consultations and complete understanding of the treatment.
If you have questions, or simply would like to discuss your options. Please feel free to call us on +442070303455 or email your questions to email@example.com
> What is the adjustable gastric balloon or SPATZ?
> What is the cost of the SPATZ?
> How is the SPATZ insertion carried out?
> How is the SPATZ removal carried out?
> What is the recovery from the SPATZ insertion?
> How long does the SPATZ stay in the stomach?
> What are the benefits of the SPATZ ?
> What are the risks of the SPATZ?
> Why choose Harley Street Bariatrics?
The Adjustable Gastric Balloon/ Spatz 3
What is the adjustable gastric galloon or Spatz? Back to top
The Spatz is a medical grade silicone balloon filled with a saline solution that is placed inside the stomach. The more common name is the adjustable gastric balloon. This particular type of bariatric treatment is viewed as a non-surgical weight loss treatment or a “scar free” weight loss treatment.
This alternative to surgery is best suited for individuals with a BMI between 28 and 30 and who have had failed attempts of losing weight through dieting and exercise in the past.
Once the gastric balloon is filled with saline inside the stomach, it will create a feeling a satiety thus fullness and decrease hunger cravings. In general, the adjustable gastric balloon occupies one third of your stomach thus supporting a diet of eating more but much smaller portions.
What is the cost of the SPATZ? Back to top
At Harley Street Bariatrics, we offer surgeon/consultant lead care packages. Meaning the patient has constant and unlimited access to their surgeon for follow up appointments and advice throughout the whole treatment and weight loss journey.
Exact costs are given after your first consultation and medical assessment with the surgeon. The all inclusive cost of the adjustable gastric balloon is £6,500.
Adjustments of the volume of the SPATZ adjustable balloon are £2,500 each.
To find out more, please feel free to contact us.
How is the SPATZ insertion carried out? Back to top
The bariatric surgeon will use an endoscopic camera to scope the stomach before the procedure. The Spatz adjustable balloon is inserted deflated through the mouth and into the stomach. The procedure is performed under a general anesthetic. Once the balloon is placed in the stomach, it is inflated with saline (salt water) to occupy 1/3 of your stomach. A dye is used in the saline solution, usually blue, which will change the colour of your urine in the unlikely event that the balloon ruptures or leaks. Once filled, the surgeon will remove the catheter attached to the balloon which has a self-sealing valve. At this point, the balloon is floating freely in the stomach.
This procedure is done in between 30 minutes to 1 hour. Since performed under a general anesthetic, the patient is admitted with an overnight stay at the hospital.
How is the SPATZ removal carried out? Back to top
The adjustable gastric balloon is removed the same way it is inserted, through the mouth. The bariatric surgeon inserts a catheter through the mouth and into the stomach. Once it is in contact with the gastric balloon, the surgeon will puncture and deflate the balloon. Once the balloon is deflated it can be grasped and removed safely.
This procedure is done in 20 to 30 minutes. The extraction like the insertion, is performed under a general anesthetic for increased comfort.
What is the SPATZ insertion? Back to top
The first few days will be uncomfortable as the stomach needs to adjust to the presence of the balloon. The most common side effects are nausea, vomiting, bloating, diarrhoea and cramping until your body adjusts. These side effects are common and should be expected.
We usually recommend taking one week off to this adjustment period when you will be in close contact with your surgeon and dietitian.
How long does the SPATZ stay in the stomach? Back to top
The Spatz adjustable balloon is the only gastric balloon on the market that has CE approval to stay inside the stomach for 12 months, 1 year.
What are the benefits of the SPATZ?Back to top
- Non-surgical alternative to weight loss surgery.
- Can be done quickly and relatively painlessly with no scars.
- Quick recovery.
- Non-permanent weight loss treatment, completely reversible.
- Suited for lower BMI, between 28 to 30.
What are the main risks and complications of the SPATZ? Back to top
All surgeries carry risks. The experience and skill of the surgeon plus careful screening of each prospect can significantly lower these risks.
- Leakage or bursting of the balloon
- Ulcers (rare)
- Rupture or bleeding in the oesophagus or stomach during insertion
- Gastric side effects: acid reflux, nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea (these are usually temporary and improve within 3 days of the insertion)
Why choose Harley Street Bariatrics?Back to top
- We offer surgeon/consultant led care, meaning you have unlimited access to your surgeon either it be face to face, via email and/or mobile. Our caring weight loss surgeons aim to not only offer their expertise in surgery but also a supporting environment for each patients to reach their potential. They believe weight loss surgery is only a tool and that weight loss is a journey that requires constant support.
- We perform all of our weight loss treatments, both surgical and non surgical, in specialized private hospitals in London, UK. Meaning, the hospitals and staff are experienced in supporting our weight loss surgeons by offering local and easily accessible medical care.
- We have hand-picked experienced bariatric surgeons. Performing both NHS and private operations, our weight loss surgeons have extensive experience and expertise in performing all types of bariatric treatments. Their passion in bariatrics is demonstrated through their yearly research, development, peer reviewed publications and attendance of prestigious national and international conferences.
- We use the highest quality medical products, meaning all of our bariatric surgeons use Allergan®, the world’s leading supplier for the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System and the BioEnterics® Intragastric Balloon also known as the BIB®.
- We use the latest models of the SPATZ adjustable gastric balloon, SPATZ 3.
- We provide post-operative care for overseas patients who had surgery elsewhere either is be gastric band infills or a gastric balloon removal. Our experienced surgeon aim to care for all patients with the same level of care and support to reach their weight loss.